Enterprise Library Contrib and Enterprise Library 5.0

Topics: Development Team Discussion, User Discussion
May 31, 2010 at 3:44 PM
Is Enterprise Library Contrib compatible with Enterprise Library 5.0? I mean, is it possible to use the last version of Enterprise Library Contrib (4.1, according to my understanding) with Enterprise Library 5.0? Or is Enterprise Library Contrib 4.1 only to be used with Enterprise Library 4.1? In case the latter is the case, will it appear in the future a new version of Enterprise Library Contrib compatible with Enterprise Library 5.0? Thanks.
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I have not done any testing of EntLibContrib 4.1 with EntLib 5.0 yet but as there are some breaking changes in v5.0 I suspect that EntLibContrib is not currently compatible? After the next release of EntLibContrib41 to include the ORM tool with MAB and QAB, I shall be starting an EntLibContrib5 branch and starting the migration process.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:46 PM

What is the status of the migration to 5.0?  I just need to use the Validation Block contribution at this time.  Thanks,

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:50 PM
Is there any progress of migration to entlib 5.0. I'm interested in MySql DAAB ?
Oct 14, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I have created a work item here:

http://entlibcontrib.codeplex.com/workitem/18939

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Any updates on Ent Lib 5  & latest ODP.Net  support ?

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Any news about migration to EntLib5 ?

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Any migration plans? If you need some help, do let me know, I will write some code.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Any updates on Ent Lib 5  & latest ODP.Net  support,  news about migration to EntLib5, any migration plans ?

Much appreciated!!

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I am also very interested in ODP.Net support for EntLib5. Any updates would be fantastic!

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I have a contribution for EntLibContrib - a container configurator so you can use Autofac as your IoC container rather than Unity - but the lack of speed with which EntLibContrib updates and releases is worrisome. EntLib 5 came out almost a year ago and EntLibContrib still hasn't been updated. If I were to contribute something, I'd want to know that any patches submitted/added to it would get released in a timely fashion. The last build of EntLibContrib being over a year ago now doesn't give me that confidence and makes me wonder if contributing is actually worth the effort.

Project Coordinators: What's going on with EntLibContrib? Is it abandoned?

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2011 at 5:18 AM

Hi tillig,

as you can see if you're looking at the last changets, the project is getting some love again! Some of the blocks are now compatible with EntLib5 : Common, VAB, EHAB, Logging and PIAB (...Query is next, then Data). Please find the new code under the "Source Code" section. An official package will be made available for download when the entire stack will be ported.

And your contribution with Autofac container configurator would be more than welcome.

Also, if you have any ideas about how the current Silverlight Pack could be extented, we would be glad to hear from you!

P.S. The EntLib Azure Pack backlog is coming up in the next few weeks. Please post and vote for your favorites stories on UserVoice @ http://entlib.uservoice.com/forums/101257-azure-integration-pack!

Regards,

Jeremi

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Actually, since it's taken almost three months just to get a reply, since I posted my original question (and tried to contact folks for commit access) I've already contributed the Autofac configurator to the Autofac project as a contrib library there. Since this will be integral in our product, we need a more active release cycle than what's been demonstrated previously for EntLibContrib so over there seemed more fitting anyway. I look forward to seeing some new life breathed into the EntLibContrib project. Perhaps in the future I'll have something additional to contribute.

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I know, those things unfortunately happen something in community driven projects.

If you have time to make this Autofac configurator also available in EntLibContrib, let me know (see work item 21005).

We already layed down the guidance to add additional containers to the solution with Nikos (baxevanis) who is working on a Windsor configurator (see work item 21004).

If not, would you mind if someone else bring the related code into EntLibContrib?

Cheers,

Jeremi

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM

It does happen, but some projects are more active than others. Hopefully EntLibContrib will get moving. After having talked through email with gmelnik about getting things going over here, it was very disappointing to hear nothing for three months. If I'm going to take a dependency on something or contribute to something, at a minimum I need that communication. Just... unfortunate.

I personally don't mind if someone brings the code into EntLibContrib, but you should probably ask on the Autofac Google Group. Autofac is technically licensed under MIT so you could fork it/port it as you desire, but I don't know if you want to potentially establish a more close relationship with the project owners. With Autofac's reasonably frequent release cycle, bringing the container configurator over into EntLibContrib will require a much more frequent EntLibContrib release cycle to keep up with the changes. There'd probably need to be some coordination there.

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

We'll sync up with the Autofac team before making a move.

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 4:16 AM

Hi all,

the Oracle ODP.NET Data Provider bits for v5 are finally available under the Source Code section! The other providers should be released one by one in the next few weeks.

You just started using it and you ran into some issues? Don't hesitate to ping me: we'll try to address the issue right away...

Happy coding!