EntLib 4.1

Topics: Development Team Discussion, User Discussion
Nov 13, 2008 at 8:46 AM
I recently tried using the EntLibContrib MySQL library, but I immediately ran into binding problems, as this library references EntLib 3.1.  I installed the latter, but then ran into binding problems with the MySQL Connector, where the EntLibContrib library was looking for version 5.0.3.0, and all I could find was 5.0.9.0.  A quick attempt at redirecting the binding failed, so I downloaded the source code for the EntLibContrib library, opened the MySQL solution, and updated the references.  The provider now works, and 2 out of 3 unit tests pass, the failure being

I have the distinct impression that I am not 'grokking' the proper intended solution structure in VS 2008, and could use some advice on how the whole project (all solutions) are meant to be set up for changes to source.

I would also like to share my efforts with others, and contribute to this project, but a move as big as the one to EntLib 4.1 is not lightly undertaken, so I would also like advice on how to maybe produce a branch for EntLib 4.1.  Until further notice, I will make my binaries available, with notice that the source code is available here and how to change it.  Although this is an open source project, I believe that me providing my source would be a risky duplication of source, and will therefore wait until I can actually work on the CodePlex codebase before sharing my source changes.

Regards
Brady Kelly
Jan 9, 2009 at 3:49 AM
Part of the motivation for sharing in the Contribution Library is that other people could help maintain it, especially as the Enterprise Library changes.  The latest Contribution Library release was in September 2007 for Enterprise Library 3.1 from May 2007. Since then there have been two more Enterprise Library releases (4.0 in May 2008 and 4.1 in October 2008). Doesn't look like there has been any activity towards a Contribution Library release (despite this post for 4.1 support and an earlier post for 4.0 support).  Looks like the last post from any of the coordinators, was on Tom Hollander's blog on March 22, 2008:
http://blogs.msdn.com/tomholl/archive/2008/03/22/cool-new-stuff-on-codeplex.aspx
We haven't got around to packaging together an official "release" in a while, so you'll need to grab the code directly from the Source Code tab for now (but hopefully someone, maybe even me, will put their Release Manager hat on soon!).
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2009 at 9:39 AM
Hi Brady,

I am working on it now.  I have a brand new block (Query Application Block) and an upgraded block (RAB) all ready to go as soon as we can move to the v4.1 codebase and VS2008 projects.  I am negotiating with the MS guys to get the current source code bundled up into a final v3.1 release and then I can get to work on the rest.

Cheers...   Steve
Mar 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM
Steve:

What is the status.  Better yet, how big a deal will it be for me to grab the currently posted source and try to get it to work with 4.1?

Thanks,
Jeff Landry
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2009 at 1:26 PM
Hi Jeff,

It is quite easy I have already done it but I cannot post it back because I will break it for everyone who is still on VS2005 and Entlib 3.1.  The big thing for v4.1 was the introduction of Unity but all the smaller providers in the contrib library pretty much compile without alteration. The Resource Application Block has had a full makeover, however, including proper Unity integration.

The current status is that I am doing the last round of tests to the Query Application Block (new one), only the group policy manageability to do now, then I will be pestering to get a final release for VS2005 v3.1 and convert the whole lot to VS2008 and  v4.1.

Cheers...   Steve
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM
Hi Folks,

As promised the upgraded Resource Application Block v4.1 and new Query Application Block v4.1 is now available from source code.  I have not documented the QAB yet which will take a couple of weeks at least but it will be done. For now there is a QuickStart to look at.

All the other contributions will appear in this new branch as and when I can contact the authors for permission/assistance.

Cheers...  Steve
May 19, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Hi,

This version of EntLibContrib, the version 4.1, is compatible with Enterprise Library 4.0?

Thanks a lot,

Pedro Rodrigues

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Hi Pedro,

Not really, because it uses all the core Enterprise Library dll’s from version 4.1

Cheers…

Stephen Phillips

http://sp.ewdev.com

Sent: 19 May 2011 21:14
To: Stephen J. Phillips
Subject: Re: EntLib 4.1 [entlibcontrib:39836]

Hi,

This version of EntLibContrib, the version 4.1, is compatible with Enterprise Library 4.0?

Thanks a lot,

Pedro Rodrigues

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately. Whilst attachments are checked, neither the sender nor e-World Developments Ltd accept any liability in respect of any virus that has not been detected.