Application Block Software Factory Template? and VS2008?

Topics: Development Team Discussion, User Discussion
Feb 19, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Hi all,

I would like to build my own Application Blocks, using Application Block Software Factory Template. But I am stuck since I am using VS2008, and EntLib V4.1 does not include this feature. V3.1 does include it but is not compatible with VS2008.
So what do I do? Is Microsoft discouraging building Application Block moving forward?

I see in MSDN the following comment:

"The following two features have been removed from this release of Enterprise Library and are now available separately:

• The Application Block Software Factory
  • The Strong-Naming Guidance Package

Both of these features are suitable for use in many situations outside of Enterprise Library; therefore, it is appropriate to be able to download and install them separately from Enterprise Library. For more details, and to download these features, see the Enterprise Library community site on CodePlex."

but I looked in codeplex and could not find anything on "The Application Block Software Factory" as a standalone componant that would work with VS2008?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Best Regards,
Eric

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Hi Eric,

Both of these products are here in the Contrib site and are available from the source code.  They are held separately in their own source code branches called Application Block Factory and Strong Naming respectively. Although originally written for VS2005 I have certainly worked with the Strong Naming package on VS2008 with no problems.  I do not use the Application Block Factory as such as I am used to building blocks from scratch but I have not heard of any problems on VS2008 except that you have to convert the solution files which happens automatically upon clicking on the solution within VS2008.

Cheers...   Steve

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I downloaded the source files but I do not see anything for the Application Block Factory. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I figured it, have to go to the Source Code tab download from there, not from the Download tab.

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Well done J

Cheers…

Stephen Phillips

http://sp.ewdev.com

Sent: 02 September 2010 20:40
To: Stephen J. Phillips
Subject: Re: Application Block Software Factory Template? and VS2008? [entlibcontrib:86037]

I figured it, have to go to the Source Code tab download from there, not from the Download tab.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (entlibcontrib@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email entlibcontrib@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately. Whilst attachments are checked, neither the sender nor e-World Developments Ltd accept any liability in respect of any virus that has not been detected.
Sep 7, 2010 at 8:40 PM
Edited Sep 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I downloaded the source and did a build on the Application Block Factory application. When I run the BlockFactorySetup I get an error stating it cannot load Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.BlockFactoryInstaller or one of its dependencies. So how to I get pass this? I tried a few small things but nothing seems to work, I am kind of at a loss here.

Found the following in my event log

Product: Application Block Software Factory -- Error 1001. Error 1001. Exception occurred while initializing the installation:

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.BlockFactoryInstaller, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=842ea52e3bcbeaef' or one of its dependencies. Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A).

Thanks for the help.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Ok, I got it installed and working. I installed the Strong Name Guidance Package and then create a new key that I used in both the BlockFactory & the BlockFactoryInstaller. I also unchecked the Delay sign only checkbox in the project's properties Signing tab.

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Now a new issue

I tried to create a new project using the Application Block Software Factory Guidance Package and got the following error,,,

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe CreateApplicationBlock. Error was: The following arguments are required and don't have values: EnterpriseLibraryBinariesDirectory. Can't continue execution..
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager.

Why and I getting this? Also, there is no Guidance Package Manager on my Tools menu in VS2008.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Well I got passed this issue.

I went into the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Application Block Software Factory\Recipes\Common\CommonAddReferences.xml file and noticed that it had a registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Enterprise Library. Well this did not exist in my registry but I did have a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Enterprise Library v4.1. I changed the XML file entry to point to this key and it all worked.

The next think I noticed was that one of the projects has a reference to Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder which did not exist. I changed this to Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2 and my projects will build.

Hopefully my issues and resolutions will help someone.

Happy coding.